Take a New Look at Your Classroom
If you want to create a beautiful environment for you and your children, take this simple survey of your classroom. Get down on the children’s level and discover what they see. Take photographs to “really see” the space.
- When a child enters the classroom, do they see an attractive space?
- Will the child find this place to be warm and homelike?
- Are the children’s materials grouped together based on how they are used?
- What are the sounds of the classroom?
- Can each child recognize who lives and works in this space?
- Is children’s work displayed in an attractive manner that can be appreciated by children, parents, and teachers?
- Are a variety of areas available: quiet, active, messy, and large or small group?
- Is there a place to pause and reflect?
- Is there a beautiful area or display that can be enjoyed?
- Is there a teacher who wants to create a wonderful space for children?
© 2008 Excelligence Learning Corporation, All Rights Reserved. Reprinted with permission. Adapted from “An Environment That Positively Impacts Young Children” by Rebecca Isbell, Ed.D. Read the entire article.